Applications are now being accepted. Apply now! 714-533-1495 or 213-738-0712

Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund

Cares Act


Financial Aid

Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (CARES Act)

South Baylo University (SBU) acknowledges it signed and returned to the U.S. Department of Education the Certification and Agreement on May 14, 2020, and gives the assurance that SBU will use at least 50% of the funds that we received under section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to eligible students. These grants are available for specific financial expenses resulting from campus disruption associated with COVID-19 and do not need to be repaid.

The following frequently ask questions (FAQs) provide guidance and information about this funding and the process to apply.

Who is eligible for the Higher Education Emgerency Relief Fund?

Students enrolled at least half-time for spring quarter 2021 and/or for summer quarter 2021 classes at South Baylo University who have experienced unexpected expenses due to disruption of campus operations from COVID-19 are eligible to apply for the emergency funding. To receive the funds, students are required to be eligible to receive federal financial aid funds (Pell Grant and/or student loans).

Students do not need to be financial aid recipients but are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and send the FAFSA information to SBU. If you have not completed the FAFSA you can do so at studentaid.gov.

The following students are not eligible for the CARES Act emergency grant funding:

  • College Credit Plus students
  • Workforce Development students
  • Non Degree students
  • International students
  • DACA students
Must students be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Yes. Students must be meeting SAP or have an approved SAP appeal. Meeting SAP does include students on warning. Students who are not meeting SAP are not eligible.

What are allowable expenses?

Students must have incurred expenses specifically due to the disruption of campus operations as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The funding must be utilized for the expenses that are requested. Allowable expenses may include:

  • Food
  • Housing
  • Course Materials
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Healthcare
  • Childcare
  • Other expenses may be allowed with proper justification


How to apply?

The Office of Financial Aid will accept Emergency Relief Fund Applications until September 30, 2021. Please submit applications to  mimi@southbaylo.edu.

What is the timeframe for processing these funds?

The processing of these funds can take up to two weeks from the time of application to the mailing of checks to students who meet the eligibility criteria.

Hpw much funding can I receive?

The amount of funding per student will be determined based on EFC (Expected Family Contribution) and the number of credit hours registered. The Office of Financial Aid will inform a student of the amount of funding after the application form is received. 

Funds are limited and awarded on a first come first serve basis.

Are international or DACA students eligible?

No. In accordance with guidance provided by the U.S. Department of Education, international and DACA students do not meet the eligibility requirements for the CARES Act emergency grant funding.

How will I be notified if I qualify or not qualify for the funds?

All communication regarding the CARES Act emergency fund grants will be sent directly to a student email in the SBU Portal System. Please check with your email address.

How will I receive the funds?

Funds will be mailed as a paper check to the students’ permanent address on file with the school. Please check in your Student Portal and ensure the address is correct. If the address is not correct, please update the information.

Where do I complete FAFSA?

Students who have not completed the FAFSA, can still do so by completing the form at studentaid.gov.

Do I need to report HEERF funds on my federal tax return?

The IRS has issued the following guidance FAQs on the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund and Emergency Financial Aid Grants under the CARES Act that clarifies that CARES Act aid should be treated as a “qualified disaster relief payment” and not be treated as taxable income.

What documentation is required to be submitted with the application?

This will depend on the individual request. However, you should provide any documentation that is relevant to the specific financial need and hardship you experienced. Consider submitting copies of bills/paid invoices/receipts or official notifications.

Will receiving this emergency fund reduce my financial aid?

No, this fund does not negate nor replace financial aid, and it is a one-time grant.

CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Declaration Report

Consistent with its Certification and Agreement, SBU will post publicly the required information on June 26, 2020, which is 30 days after it received its allocation, and it will update this information 45 days thereafter, which will be August 10, 2020, and every 45 days thereafter. SBU will post the quarterly budget and expenditure report no later than 10 days after the calendar quarter. 

Office of Financial Aid

Financial Aid Officer: Mimi Park
Telephone:  714-533-1496 ext) 243
Email: mimi@southbaylo.edu

Translate »