Applications for the Winter quarter are now being accepted.
The Winter quarter begins on January 4, 2021.
What’s open at SBU
The health of the SBU community is a top priority. SBU will provide a mix of in-person and remote instruction for the Fall quarter of 2020. Please visit the course schedule page for more details.
|Admissions Office||Open||Available by in-person, phone, email, appointment, and live chat; Monday-Friday 9am-6pm|
|Academic Office||Open||Available by phone, email, appointment, and live chat; Monday-Friday 9am-6pm|
|Clinics||Open||Available to patients by appointment; available to interns who are approved by clinic directors Monday-Saturday 9am-5pm)|
|Library||Open||Locations closed; remote resources access available; library staff are available by email.|
|Administrative Office (Registrar, Financial Aid, International Student Services, Student Services, IT)||Open||Available by in-person, phone, email, appointment, and live chat; Monday-Friday 9am-6pm|
Please be advised that some of the information is applied to the Fall quarter only due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
FAQs – Distance Education
@READ: Student Guideline for Distance Education
- All students are required to use the @southbaylo.edu school email to access the distance education courses. Please click here to apply for your school email if you don’t have it.
- SBU utilizes Google Meet for online live class delivery. Also, SBU uses Google Classroom which is an e-learning platform for a variety of learning activities, and communication. Your instructor will provide all class materials and resources via Google Classroom.
- You will receive a Classroom Invitation from your instructor prior to the first class for each course you are registered in. Once you receive the invitation, you will access the classroom by clicking the ‘JOIN’ button in your email. You will be directed to all information in the classroom. Your instructors will also share Google Meet online links in the classroom or by email.
- If you recently added new courses, please notify your instructors immediately. Instructors will contact you to allow you to join courses.
How do I access distance education courses that I have registered for?
You will receive an invitation email from the instructor of each course you registered prior to the first class. You see the “JOIN” button in the invitation email. You can access the distance course by clicking the “JOIN” button.
If you did not receive an invitation email, please contact one of the following persons.
- Dr. Pia Melen, 714-533-1495 x:225 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Hyo Jung Knag, 714-533-1495 x:232 or email@example.com
- Dr. Henry Choi, 714-533-1495 x:228 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Ki Haeng Cho, 213-738-0712 x:136 or email@example.com
- Alex Jung, 213-738-0712 x:203 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I need a school email address to access courses?
Yes, students are required to use the @southbaylo.edu email address. If you don’t have the school email address, please click here to apply for your school email address.
Where can I find information on how to use Google Classroom and Google Meet?
@READ: Security Policies for SBU email accounts
As part of our efforts at South Baylo University to further secure our information technology infrastructure, starting June 22nd, 2020, the following policies have been implemented:
- All users are required to use strong passwords to protect their email accounts. A strong password is 8 to 100 characters, includes lowercase and uppercase letters, numbers, and at least one special character. See Google recommendations here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/9094506?hl=en
- All users are required to change their email account password every 90 days. This will prevent your account from being compromised in case your password is exposed to a different online service you use.
- Starting July 1st, 2020, the next time you sign in, you will be required to update your email account password to a more secure password. We will also use 2-step verification with every new login into your account.
- If you use the Windows or Mac operating systems, we recommend you download and install the FREE antivirus software Avast. You can get a link for your operating system by going to avast.com
If you have any questions or concerns about Information Technology security at South Baylo University, you can contact James Kim or Lionnel Yamentou of the IT Department at James@southbaylo.edu or Lionnel@southbaylo.edu
What do I do if I have forgotten the password for my @southbaylo.edu email address?
If you have forgotten your password and cannot reset it yourself successfully, please fill out this form and our IT Department will assist you.
Do I need a camera on my computer to access online courses?
Starting the summer quarter, you must install a webcam on your computer or use a laptop (tablet PC) with a built-in camera to take the online courses. You will not be allowed to take an examination without a camera installment.
FAQs – Class/Internship Registration
How do I register in-person and/or distance education courses?
There are two ways to register for courses for the summer quarter.
1. During the registration period, the students can register in-person and distance education courses on the student’s portal. Once you register for courses on the portal, you need to send the pre-registration pending approval form to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students continue to register courses until October 14, 2020, which is the last day of Add/Drop.
How do I add or drop courses?
How do I register for clinic internship hours?
SBU will offer clinical internship hours for the Fall quarter as approved by ACAOM. The clinic internship training will be provided via distance education and in-person. Please contact Clinic Directors for your internship registration.
Contact information for Clinic Directors
Anaheim Clinic Director: Dr. Sandjaya Tr, email@example.com
Los Angeles Clinic Director: Dr. Gray Jang, firstname.lastname@example.org
When will school clinics be opened?
Request School Email
FAQs – International Students
Can I be excused from meeting full course of study requirements?
No, all international students must maintain full-time status in the Fall quarter. If you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact the International Student Advisor at email@example.com.
Can I return to the United States if I am continuing my study outside of the country as a result of COVID-19?
Yes. Students who continue to make normal progress in their course of study remain eligible for admission into the United States.
However, because of the changing array of travel restrictions, students should refer to their local embassy’s website through the U.S. Department of State for any updates about visa issuance. Also, DHS and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) websites provide information about current travel restrictions to the United States.
What is the requirement for Initial status students who have already arrived in the United States?
Initial students currently in the United States that have reported to their school should be made Active in SEVIS and follow the guidelines the school provides to all its F students related to COVID-19.
If Initial students have not arrived in the United States, they should remain in their home country.
Can DSOs electronically send signed Forms I-20 to students instead of physically mailing the forms?
Yes, due to COVID-19, DSOs may electronically send Forms I-20 to student email addresses listed in SEVIS. Schools do not need to request permission from SEVP or report their plans to electronically send Forms I-20 as part of their COVID-19 procedural changes.
SEVP has identified the following methods to sign and send the Form I-20:
• Email a scanned version of the physically signed Form I-20;
• Email a digitally signed Form I-20 using electronic signature software; or
• Email a digitally signed Form I-20 that contains a digitally reproduced copy of a physical signature.
FAQs – Financial Aid
Am I eligible for financial aid even if I register less than 8 units?
Yes. In the Fall quarter of 2020, students who registered less than 8 units are eligible for financial aid. Please see the Financial Aid Officer, Mimi, for details. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 714-533-1495.
When is the disbursement date?
The disbursement date in the fall quarter is 10/19/2020.
How will a financial aid check be delivered to each student?
Each student will be informed of the delivery method at the time of disbursement.
FAQs – Registrar
How can I request an official transcript?
How can I change my contact information?
How can I request for leave of absence?
For more information, please visit the Office of Registrar.
FAQs – Library
Are school libraries open during the Fall quarter?
The Los Angeles and Anaheim libraries will remain closed during the fall quarter; however, staff are available via email and will continue to provide library services.
How can I check out books during the Fall quarter?
You can check out books with the following procedure.
- Complete and submit the Book Request Form to Vanja Anderson, email@example.com for Anaheim campus or Lily Lin, firstname.lastname@example.org for the Los Angeles campus.
- Students will receive detailed pickup information from the librarian
However, please be advised that you must know the following conditions prior to borrowing books.
– You must return all of the books you borrowed in previous quarters.
– You can not check out textbooks and magazines.
How can I return books to the library during the COVID-19 pandemic?
You can drop off the book(s) in the administration office or mail the book(s) to the school from where you borrowed the book, at your own expense. Borrowed books must be returned in time.
FAQs – Student Services
How can I contact the Student Services Coordinator?
How can I file a complaint during the COVID-19 pandemic?
Please contact the Student Services Coordinator at email@example.com.
Master’s Degree Program
- Dr. Hyo Jeong Kang
- Dr. Ki Haeng Cho
- Dr. Sandjaya Tri
Phone: (714) 533-1495 Ext. 247
- Dr. Gray Deukshin Jang
Phone: (213) 738-0712
DAOM Degree Program
- Dr. Soo Kim: 213-738-0712, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Rabiha E-Habbal: 714-533-1495 x:312, email@example.com
News and Events